County Goverment of Turkana
Turkana County Public Service Board invites applications from competent and qualified persons to fill the following positions
REF: TUR/CPSB/052/2017/18: PEACE BUILDING AND CONFLICT MANAGEMENT OFFICERS JOB GROUP „K‟, FOUR (4) POSTS
Duties and Responsibilities
• Endear to ensure the people of your area of operation are inculcated to move from a culture of reaction to prevention of conflict strategy and initiate strategies that address more immediate as well as deep rooted cultural courses of conflict to enhance continuous harmony and peace full community co-existence;
• Monitor and report promptly incidents of conflict within your area of operation and across borders along area of operation;
• Organize and conduct inter and intra community peace building meetings in the Sub-Counties, and mobilize key „Adakar leaders‟, Women and the Youth, Peace Committee members and other stakeholders to participate in such peace building initiatives;
• Initiate and mainstream pro-active programs that are strategically geared towards peace building and conflict mitigation;
• Bring together all relevant actors to marshal resources and to advice on and propose integrated strategies for peace building conflict resolution;
• Oversee border field based peace committees mandated with resolution of conflicts peace fully;
• Develop an inter-agency capacity for conflict prevention and peace building at various levels in your area of operations;
• Employ and effectively support mediation efforts in order to head- off potential crisis and consequent conflict at an early and manageable stage;
• Monitor the local socio-political developments and advice on conflict prevention, management and peace building initiatives respectively;
• Engage in peace building talks, crisis diplomacy and mainstream them pro-actively.
• Assist in monitoring security situation in ‘Mapped Conflict zones’ and inform relevant County security agencies for any potential risk and timely remedial action (s);
• Conduct ad-hoc training in peace building for residents in conflict prone zones;
• Prepare quarterly and annual reports on peace building initiatives/programmes from the respective regions;
• Liaise with Sub-County Administrator(s), Ward Administrator(s) and other stakeholders to monitor and respond to conflict incidences;
• Perform any other duty assigned that may be assigned from time to time.
Requirements for appointment:-
i. A Bachelor’s degree holder in peace building and conflict management or any other related field from a university recognized in Kenya;
ii. Have relevant knowledge, experience and a distinguished career of not less than ten (3) years;
iii. Experience in working in challenging environments;
iv. Possess strong analytical and conceptual skills;
v. Excellent communication skills, calm and good sense of humuor;
vi. Fluent in written and spoken English and Kiswahili will be added advantage;
vii. Knowledge and fluency in of local language will be an added advantage;
viii. Knowledge and experience working with relevant local stakeholders and partners.
Terms of service: Permanent and pensionable
Salary, allowances and other benefits are per the rates prescribed by the salaries and remuneration commission.
HOW TO APPLY
All written applications, CVs, copies of certificates, testimonials and identity card should be submitted in a sealed envelope clearly marked on the left side the position being applied for and addressed to:
Turkana County Public Service Board,
P.O. BOX 05, Lodwar, – 30500.
OR delivered by hand at the reception desk at Turkana County Public Service Board Offices located along Nawaitorong’ road Opposite Lodwar Club located off Kitale-Lodwar highway.
All applications to reach the office before the close of business on Monday, 15th June, 2018
Important information to all candidates;
• Applicants are advised to apply for only one position
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
• Any form of canvassing or lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification
• Officers serving with the County Government of Turkana will be required to fill form TCPSB 2B which will be collected from Turkana County Public Service Board Offices during working hours.
N/B Youth, Women and Persons Living with disability (PWDs) are encouraged to apply.