County Goverment of Turkana
Turkana County Public Service Board invites applications from competent and qualified persons to fill the following positions:
REF: TUR/CPSB/008/2017/2018: DIRECTOR, ENVIRONMENT, JOB GROUP „R‟. ONE (1) POST
Duties and responsibilities:
• Supervision and coordination over all County matters relating to the environment and be the principal instrument of County Government to determine the implementation of all policy matters relating to the environmental conservation matters;
• Ensuring that current and emerging county environmental issues are regularly taken on board;
• Ensure environmental management objectives are adhered to and adequate early warning advisory on impending environmental emergencies is given promptly and timely;
• Render advice and technical support, where possible, to entities engaged in environmental protection so as to enable them to carry out their responsibilities satisfactorily and in a standard manner;
• Defining pragmatics and robust research framework for the county that will be applied to the county‘s environment impact assessment (EIA) environmental planning period reports and assessment; Establishing practical and useful linkages with county and national environmental research networks;
• Supervising and coordinating all environmental related matters within county;
• Serving as secretary to the environment committee ensuring compliance and enforcement of environmental regulations within the county;
• Identifying areas of environmental concern and ensuring that they are sufficiently addressed in development plans;
• Developing and updating an environmental database;
• Facilitating exchange of environmental information among various institutors;
• Collaborating stakeholders in environmental conservation activities;
• Support the environmental assessment and compliance function of the Department;
• Screen/Evaluate proposed project development to determine whether or not a project will have any adverse impact on the environment;
• Provide technical guidance on decision making on environment impact assessment;
• Carry out baseline verification (inspections) of proposed projects
• Collate comments from lead agencies and make appropriate recommendations on the decisions on ESAs;
• Carry out quality assurance and quality control on ESA reports submitted;
• Providing compliance assistance to regulate communities on best environmental impact assessment;
• Any other related duties that may be assigned from time to time;
Requirements for appointment:-
i. Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, biometrics or related field;
ii. Have relevant knowledge, experience and a distinguished career in environment management of not less than seven (7), three (3) years of which should be at a senior managerial position in the public service or equivalent in the private sector;
iii. A master’s degree in environmental science, environmental management, biometrics or any other related field from a recognized university in Kenya is an added;
iv. Should be registered and practicing EIA/EA expert;
v. Shown merit and ability as reflected in work performance and results;
vi. Attended a management course lasting not less than four (4) weeks from a recognized institution;
vii. Attended a strategic leadership development course lasting not less than six (6) weeks from a recognized institution;
viii. Demonstrated general administrative ability required for direction, control and implementation of environmental management services.
Terms of Service: Three (3) years Contract.
Salary, allowances and other benefits are per the rates prescribed by the salaries and remuneration commission.
HOW TO APPLY
All written applications, CVs, copies of certificates, testimonials and identity card should be submitted in a sealed envelope clearly marked on the left side the position being applied for and addressed to:
Turkana County Public Service Board,
P.O. BOX 05, Lodwar, – 30500.
OR delivered by hand at the reception desk at Turkana County Public Service Board Offices located along Nawaitorong’ road Opposite Lodwar Club located off Kitale-Lodwar highway.
All applications to reach the office before the close of business on Monday, 15th June, 2018
Important information to all candidates;
• Applicants are advised to apply for only one position
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
• Any form of canvassing or lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification
• Officers serving with the County Government of Turkana will be required to fill form TCPSB 2B which will be collected from Turkana County Public Service Board Offices during working hours.
N/B Youth, Women and Persons Living with disability (PWDs) are encouraged to apply.