County Goverment of Turkana
Turkana County Public Service Board invites applications from competent and qualified persons to fill the following positions:
REF: TUR/CPSB/005/2017/18: DIRECTOR, IRRIGATION AND AGRICULTURE, JOB GROUP “R”ONE (1) POST,
Duties and Responsibilities:-
• Organization, direction, control and co-ordination of the functions of the Directorate;
• Interpreting and application of national irrigation and agricultural laws and other related statutes in line with the county goals and objectives;
• Developing appropriate county irrigation and agricultural policies, legal and institutional frameworks for the implementation of the mandate of the ministry;
• Have relevant knowledge, experience and a distinguished career of not less than ten (10) years;
• Development, implementation and evaluation of irrigation and agricultural strategic plans, programmed and projects in collaborations with other ministries and stakeholders;
• Handling, administrative human resource and assets management issues;
• Oversee preparation of annual work plans and financial budgets;
• Planning and supervision of agricultural extension programmes and activities;
• Ensure effective operation of extension services;
• Promotion and maintenance of extension and research linkages;
• Management of the training function in liaison with other agricultural training institutions;
• Provide technical guidance in performing design work and scientific calculation of irrigation and agriculture;
• Assess, design and oversee construction irrigation project and distribution of water to agricultural lands;
• Provision of technical guidance in land and water management or soil conservation;
• Farm management and agribusiness development;
• Monitoring and reporting of food in the county in liaison with other relevant organization in the county;
• Ensuring strict compliance with all financial budgetary and procurement procedure;
• Co-ordination of production, documentation and dissemination of irrigation and agricultural information;
• Provide advice and guidance on staff development;
• Promotes and maintain working relation with relevant government ministries, research institutions, private sector, donors and civil society;
• Perform other duties that may be assigned from to time
Requirements for appointment:-
i. Bachelors of sciences degree in any of the following disciplines: Agriculture, dry land farming, horticultural, agricultural economics, agricultural extension, Water and Irrigation, Agricultural Engineering, Water and Soil Engineering or any other relevant and equivalent qualification from recognized institution;
ii. Have relevant knowledge, experience and a distinguished career in agricultural services management of not less than seven (7) years ,three (3) of which must be at a senor managerial position in the public service or equivalent in the private sector;
iii. Master degree in any of the following fields: food science, agriculture home economics, agriculture, agronomy, horticulture, agricultural economics, soil& water conservation, agribusiness, agricultural extension, agricultural education, or any other relevant qualification from a recognized institution will be an added advantage;
iv. Demonstrated high degree of professional and technical competence as reflected in work performance and result;
v. Attended a management course lasting not less than four (4) weeks from a recognized institution;
vi. Attended a strategic leadership development course lasting not less than six (6) weeks from a recognized institution;
vii. Demonstrated general administrative ability required for direction, control and implementation of agricultural management services.
Terms of Service: Three (3) years Contract.
Salary, allowances and other benefits are per the rates prescribed by the salaries and remuneration commission.
HOW TO APPLY
All written applications, CVs, copies of certificates, testimonials and identity card should be submitted in a sealed envelope clearly marked on the left side the position being applied for and addressed to:
Turkana County Public Service Board,
P.O. BOX 05, Lodwar, – 30500.
OR delivered by hand at the reception desk at Turkana County Public Service Board Offices located along Nawaitorong’ road Opposite Lodwar Club located off Kitale-Lodwar highway.
All applications to reach the office before the close of business on Monday, 15th June, 2018
Important information to all candidates;
• Applicants are advised to apply for only one position
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
• Any form of canvassing or lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification
• Officers serving with the County Government of Turkana will be required to fill form TCPSB 2B which will be collected from Turkana County Public Service Board Offices during working hours.
N/B Youth, Women and Persons Living with disability (PWDs) are encouraged to apply.