County Goverment of Turkana
Turkana County Public Service Board invites applications from competent and qualified persons to fill the following positions
REF: TUR/CPSB/033/2017/18: DEPUTY DIRECTOR, ALCOHOLIC DRINK AND SUBSTANCE ABUSE CONTROL, JOB GROUP “Q”, ONE (1) POST.
Duties and responsibilities:-
• Oversee the implementation and enforcement of the provisions of the Turkana County Alcoholic Drinks Control Act.2014;
• Examine the existing legal framework, including the relevant National policies and legislations on alcohol and drug abuse with a view to identifying existing gaps;
• Enhance the County’s Psycho- Social support and ensure the provision of effective treatment and rehabilitation services of the affected;
• Develop and implement mechanisms for inter-agency collaboration and with other relevant stakeholders at all levels;
• Operationalize the County Inter –agency technical committee on drug and alcohol control that encompass all relevant stakeholders at all levels in the County;
• Examine the capacity in liaison with the Anti –Narcotics Police Unit, Ministry of Health and other critical and relevant agencies to effectively deal with alcohol and drug abuse in the County;
• Establish the type of drugs being trafficked and abused and asses magnitude of the problem in the County;
• Establish the key ingredients used in the manufacture and production of illicit drugs and alcohol in the County;
• Identify the source of trafficked illicit drugs and alcohol in the County, their entry points and the modes of transportation;
• Identify and profile drugs and alcohol networks in the County with a view to prosecute; the coordinators, financiers, recruiters, brokers, agents and distributors;
• Undertake cross borders/regional/international liaison with relevant state agencies in other countries;
• Develop a system for periodic surveys on emerging trends and disseminate findings to the relevant stakeholders;
• Perform any other function deemed necessary in the fight against drug trafficking and substance abuse;
• Any other duty assigned from time to time.
Requirements for appointment:
iii. Bachelor’s Degree in Criminology, criminal justice system or any other social science related field from a university recognized in Kenya
iv. Have relevant knowledge, experience and a distinguished career of not less than seven (7)years, three (3) years of which should be at a senior managerial position in campaigns against alcohol and drug abuse activities in the public service or the equivalent in the private sector;
v. Masters in relevant field is an added advantage;
vi. Demonstrate thorough understanding of constitutional provisions related with law enforcement and any other relevant laws and allied county legislation;
vii. Attended a senior management course lasting not less than four (4) weeks from a recognized institution;
viii. Attended a strategic leadership development course lasting not less than six (6) weeks from a recognized institution;
ix. Demonstrated general administrative ability required for direction, control and implementation of campaign against alcohol and abuse management services.
Terms of Service: Three (3) years Contract.
Salary, allowances and other benefits are per the rates prescribed by the salaries and remuneration commission.
HOW TO APPLY
All written applications, CVs, copies of certificates, testimonials and identity card should be submitted in a sealed envelope clearly marked on the left side the position being applied for and addressed to:
Turkana County Public Service Board,
P.O. BOX 05, Lodwar, – 30500.
OR delivered by hand at the reception desk at Turkana County Public Service Board Offices located along Nawaitorong’ road Opposite Lodwar Club located off Kitale-Lodwar highway.
All applications to reach the office before the close of business on Monday, 15th June, 2018
Important information to all candidates;
• Applicants are advised to apply for only one position
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
• Any form of canvassing or lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification
• Officers serving with the County Government of Turkana will be required to fill form TCPSB 2B which will be collected from Turkana County Public Service Board Offices during working hours.
N/B Youth, Women and Persons Living with disability (PWDs) are encouraged to apply.