International Rescue Committee
Requisition ID: req1016
Job Title: Medical Officer-Kakuma
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
· The medical officer in- charge of the hospital will offer quality health care to all patients in the hospital and work closely, as the team leader with medical officers, clinical officers, nurses, staff in lab, pharmacy and health post to ensure quality health care services are offered to the beneficiaries.
· The Medical Officer In charge shall report to the Clinical Services Manager.
· He/she will assist the Clinical Services Manager in daily hospital administration, maintaining of discipline and providing oversight in the day to day running of the hospital and the health posts.
· He/ She will conduct surprise inspections of the Hospital and Health posts, ensuring discipline is maintained in all sections and submit a report to the Clinical Services Manager at least twice a month
· He/ She is responsible for ensuring smooth delivery of quality health care to both the refugee and host community populations.
· He/ She will be responsible in Liaison with the Nursing Officer In-charge for preparing quarterly budget estimates for the various hospital departments.
· He/ She will be responsible for taking action on procurement of various hospital medical and surgical items in liaison with the Senior Pharmacist and the Nursing officer-in charge.
· He/ She will ensure proper functioning of special clinics in the hospital on weekly basis i.e. SOPC, GOPC, HRC, MOPC and POPC.
· He/ She will coordinate in liaison with the CSM consultancy visits for the clinical services program to the camp
· He/ She will coordinate in liaison with the CSM referrals of refugee patients as per UNHCR referral guidelines.
· HE/ She will in liaison with the CSM be responsible for examining and certifying payment bills related to outside hospitals.
· He/ She will conduct hospital rounds at least thrice a week and ensure proper cleanliness and decorum is maintained in the OPDs/IPDs/Wards and isolation centers.
· Ensure the hospital is running effectively in all the wards with adequate coverage by all cadres of health staff.
· Attend to all emergencies, both medical and surgical at the hospital.
· Manage and supervise all the staff in respective wards.
· Ensure survivors with sexual assault cases are promptly attended in GBV support centre.
· Ensure the medical- legal forms including P3 forms are well filled by clinicians and proper representation in the courts as may be required.
· He/ She will be responsible for preparing clinical officers and medical officers duty rotas, compensatory days awarding, making alternate postings and duty arrangements to ensuring judicial deployment of clinicians
· He/ She will provide direct supervision to the medical officers, Nursing officer-in-charge and clinical officers at the hospital.
· Handle disciplinary cases with support of the CSM and the HR.
· He/ She will plan and coordinate RnR and leave for medical officers and clinical officers
· He/ She in liaison with the CSM and the Nursing officer-in-charge will be responsible for filling up vacant positions through the formal recruitment or promotions process to fulfil the requirements of the departments
· He/ She will take lead in chairing the daily morning clinical staff meetings, mortality, morbidity and near-miss review audits; providing guidance, oversight and program updates as required.
· Manage the Clinical Services Program in acting capacity when the CSM is not in office.
· Coordinate and Participate the Continuous Medical Education (CME) for staff and give updates on care of patients.
· Chair the Quality Improvement Committee meetings and together with the CSM ensure the action points are followed and acted upon.
· Conduct daily ward rounds in respective wards.
· Be the doctor on call at the hospital on weekly basis, 24hrs 7 days as per the scheduled call list.
· Carry out all emergency surgical/obstetric cases in theatre.
· Properly document patient diagnosis, plans of treatment and care on patient files.
· Attend and chair morning handover meetings and give feedback on patient care.
· Carry out all elective surgical and gynecological cases twice a week in theatre.
· Attend to all medical legal issues, fill P3 forms and attend court sessions.
· Fill the referral forms for both emergency and elective referrals.
Reporting and Coordination:
Report to clinical Services Manager or his/her designate.
Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
Key Result Areas
· Improved quality of care in the wards/hospital
· Proper coverage and delivery of health services at the hospital departments.
· Quality emergency obstetric care in maternity.
· Prompt referral of patients.
· Proper documentation of patient care.
· Prompt management of outbreaks
· Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery, (MBChB).
· Registered with Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentist Board.
· Minimum 3 yrs of working experience in a busy hospital.
· Able to work with minimal supervision.
· Experience in health staff management in a hospital set up.
Required Experience & Competencies:
· Be flexible, a team player and result oriented.
· Be ready to work in challenging and multitasking environment.
· Computer literacy in MS Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, is desired.
Kenyan nationals are encouraged to apply. International allowances are not available for this position. Salary and employee benefits are compliant to the Kenyan NGO Sector.
Please take note that International Rescue Committee (IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment processes. In the event that you receive any request for payment of any sort, please get in touch with us on Tel: +(254-020) 2727730, Email: [email protected] or report to the nearest police.