Kenyatta National Hospital
The Hospital Management invites applications from qualified candidates for the above positions.
Minimum Qualification: Masters
Experience Level: Senior level
Experience Length: 3 years
1. CHIEF MEDICAL SPECIALIST, JOB GROUP K1
RADIATION ONCOLOGY/CLINICAL ONCOLOGY (1 POST), DERMATOLOGY (1 POST), OPHTHALMOLOGY (1 POST), ORTHOPAEDIC (1 POST), PAEDIATRIC (1 POST), LABORATORY MEDICINE (1 POST)
The Chief Medical Specialist will be responsible to the Deputy Director, Diagnostic Services & Health Information/Medical/Surgical Services through the Head of Department and shall be responsible and accountable for patients under his/her care.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Establishing effective teams to deliver quality clinical outcomes and ensure good working relationships with other specialists.
• Promoting efficient and high standards of specialized clinical care to patients.
• Providing clinical direction and consultation to all levels of medical and professional staff.
• Performing complicated clinical procedures in the area of specialization.
• Participating in the planning and management of health care programmes and projects in the Hospital.
• Participating in the assessment of patients as may be required by the Hospital Management.
• Participating in clinical research, health planning and policy.
• Teaching, training, coaching and mentoring Clinicians and students.
• Participating in preparation of annual budgets for the department.
• Participating in quality Assurance / OSHE initiatives in the Department.
• Ensuring compliance with the set standard operating procedures.
• Facilitating regular inspections and quality audits to ensure conformity with national guidelines and regulations.
• Protecting patients and support staff by adhering to Infection Control Protocols.
• Participating in the preparation of the expenditure estimates / PC negotiations for the department.
• Effective supervision and development of staff.
• Any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience
• Masters Degree in Medicine (MMed) in the respective area of specialization from the University of Nairobi or any other recognized University.
• Sub-specialization in the respective specialty.
• Proven experience of not less than three (3) years at the level of senior Medical Specialist.
• Specialist Recognition and retention Certificate from the Medical Practitioners and Dentist Board of Kenya.
• Evidence of research and at least three (3) professional publications in reputable local or international journals on particular scientific findings/practices in the relevant field.
• Proven ability to lead change management.
• Demonstrated understanding of financial management and experience in managing budgets.
• Demonstrated skills in strategic and planning of specialized clinical services.
• Professional indemnity cover.
Method of Application
Those interested in applying for the declared vacancies and meet the job specifications are required to apply online and MUST submit a hard copy of the Hospital application form available in the website with copies of certificates and testimonials on or before 26th June 2018 to the address below:
The Chief Executive Officer
Kenyatta National Hospital
P.O Box 20723-00202
“Kenyatta National Hospital is an equal opportunity employer and qualified candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply”.
Please visit our website www.knh.or.ke for full profile of all the advertised positions and the Hospital application form and also the link to apply online.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and must present the following documents during the interview:-
• A certificate of good conduct from the National Police Service
• EACC Clearance
• Credit Reference Bureau Clearance
• HELB Compliance
• KRA Tax Compliance