Norwegian Refugee Council
Find a Job
IT & Telecoms
/ High Performance Computing Systems Administrator
High Performance Computing Systems Administrator
High performance computing systems administrator
1 week ago
Assess ICPAC’s current HPC infrastructure and propose ways to ensure it meets international standards
Qualification Level: Masters
Experience Level: Mid level
Experience Length: 2 years
The IGAD Climate Prediction and Applications Centre (ICPAC) is a specialized Institution of the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD). The mission of ICPAC is to foster climate services and knowledge to enhance community resilience for prosperity in the Greater Horn of Africa.
The HPC System Administrator will design, deploy, administer, and update large-scale operational forecasting and research systems, related infrastructure services, and operating systems at ICPAC and its Member State National Meteorological and Hydrological Services. The applicant must be experienced in Linux. She/he will work under the direct supervision of the Climate Diagnostics and Prediction Program Manager based on a work plan endorsed by the Program Manager and the Director of ICPAC.
Overall purposes of the post include:
• To build lasting capacity of ICPAC and participating National Meteorological and Hydrological Services in HPC systems management to enable advanced climate modelling and diagnostics operations for the provision of effective and tailored climate products and services at ICPAC and in the Greater Horn of Africa.
• Provide technical advice and capacity development support to the National Meteorological & Hydrological Services on implementation of activities related to HPC systems.
• Assess ICPAC’s current HPC infrastructure and propose ways to ensure it meets international standards;
• Assess the technical capacities and HPC resources of ICPAC’s Member State NMHSs;
• Working closely with ICPAC’s climate modelling group and I.T. Expert, install, manage and maintain a suite of software needed in climate modelling and parallel computing, including preparing batch scripts for parallel job runs. Do the same for NMHSs that currently operate HPC systems;
• Guide ICPAC into joining and acquiring affordable internet service from UbuntuNet Alliance;
• Work with ICPAC’s I.T. Expert as well as Maintenance Assistant to ensure ICPAC’s HPC systems safely shut down in case of emergency due to power disruption;
• Propose an effective data storage and archival plan to complement existing storage arrangement for ICPAC’s HPCs;
• Work with ICPAC’s I.T. Expert to enhance the security of the HPC system;
• Assist ICPAC’s I.T. Expert to coordinate acquisition of new IT resources, regular improvements or upgrades and also customize software programs for internal needs;
• Assist ICPAC’s I.T. Expert to review the IT needs and requirements against emerging technological trends and advice management on how the needs can be met using the latest technology;
• Work with ICPAC’s I.T. Expert to develop and implement a systematic training plan to strengthen the capacity of ICPAC staff and national meteorological services in the use of HPC systems;
• Develop with the assistance of ICPAC’s I.T. Expert, systems and structures ensuring that integrated operational procedures are maintained after the deployment has ended;
• Any other relevant assignment by ICPAC.
• University degree at MSc level in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, Computer Engineering or other closely related field. A PhD is preferred.
• At least two years of experience with Linux system administration and networking.
• Experience deploying, troubleshooting, and maintaining Linux systems in a scientific or research computing environment;
• Experience with system management frameworks;
• Demonstrated experience with programming in at least one C/C++, Perl, Python, or UNIX shell;
• Experience with high-performance interconnects (e.g., Fiber Channel, Gigabit ethernet), high performance storage, and/or distributed storage systems;
• Extensive understanding of Linux/UNIX-based operating systems;
• Proficiency in systems administration and automation, TCP/IP networking, and system troubleshooting;
• Understanding of modern large-scale scientific computing systems;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, and a desire to learn new technology and techniques;
• Fluency in English essential. Other UN official languages, in particular French is an asset.
• Ability to work in diverse multicultural environments with sensitivity to local contexts.
• Ability to communicate effectively with and relate to people of different cultures.
• Having resourcefulness, initiative, and maturity of judgment
• Committed to continuous learning and professional development.
• Integrity and fairness – embodies UN values and promotes the well-being of all individuals regardless of gender, religion, race, nationality, or age.
• Strong corporate commitment. Seeks opportunities for organization improvements.
Duty station: Nairobi.
Travel: Travel to ICPAC member states to be expected.
Salary range: from NOK 517 700 – 569 000 depending on experience and education + allowances.
Start Date: ASAP
Contract Period: 12 months
Share this job post
LOGIN TO APPLY NOW
Email / Username
Minimum 6 characters
Keep me logged in
Not registered? Sign up
Safe Job Hunting
Banner Ad Rates
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on LinkedIn
Follow us on Instagram
The No.1 Job Site. All rights reserved.
Get it on Google Play
FREE – On Google Play
High performance computing systems administrator.