CHIEF INTERNAL AUDIT AND COMPLIANCE OFFICER REF: VA/UU/027/2018
The Chief Internal Audit and Compliance Officer shall report administratively to the Vice-Chancellor and functionally to the Audit, Risk Management and Compliance Committee of the University Council and shall act as Secretary to the Audit, Risk Management and Compliance Committee of the Council. The CIACO has a clear and recognized reporting relationship with the Chair of the Audit, Risk Management and Compliance Committee of the Council and also has an administrative reporting relationship with the Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs.
Essential Qualification s for the Position:
• Advanced University Degree (Master’s or equivalent) in financial or related discipline and a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Finance or related field.
• A Professional Certification as either a Certified Public Accountant, a Certified Internal Auditor, or comparable certification.
• Five years of audit experience, preferably in higher education.
• Experience as an Audit Manager.
• Supervisory experience.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Must demonstrate the highest level of integrity and honesty.
Desirable Qualification s for the Position:
Preference will be given to candidates with an MBA or a Master’s in Accountancy degree, and a certification as a Certified Public Accountant, or Certified Internal Auditor.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Develops a flexible Annual Audit Plan using appropriate risk-based methodology, including any risks or control concerns identified by management, and submit that plan to the audit committee for review and approval.
2. Implements the Annual Audit Plan, as approved, including and as appropriate, any special tasks or projects requested by management and the audit committee.
3. Leads the activities of the department to ensure that all work is performed independently without bias, with due diligence and timeliness, with adequate support for appropriate findings and recommendations provided in well-written reports.
4. Establishes a quality assurance program by which the CIA assures the operation of internal auditing activities.
5. Performs or assists in the investigation of significant suspected fraudulent activities within the organization and notifies management and the audit committee of the results.
6. Evaluates and assesses significant new or changing services, processes, operations, and control processes coincident with their development, implementation, and/or expansion.
7. Issues periodic reports to the audit committee and management summarizing results of audit activities.
8. Keeps the Audit Committee informed of emerging trends and successful practices in internal auditing, and provide an annual list of significant measurement goals and results.
9. Develops appropriate Departmental Operating Procedures.
10. Researching and assessing how well risk management processes are working and recording the results using software such as Microsoft Word and Excel;
11. To provide independent assurance that an institution’s risk management, governance & internal control processes are operating effectively.
12. Serves on committees, task forces or other ad hoc groups as requested.
13. Fostering quality and continuous improvement in governance and risk management control processes.
14. Assessing the cost effectiveness and efficiency in the utilization of resources for the achievement of University’s objectives.
15. Carrying out compliance audits with policies, laws, rules and regulations.
16. Ensuring that resources including assets are preserved and protected and used for the benefit of the University.
17. To provide leadership in planning, conducting and managing internal audit and risk assessment in all the University’s operational and management processes and systems.
18. Performing such other functions as may be directed by the Audit Committee of the University Council.
Each application shall be accompanied by detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of relevant academic and professional certificates, copy of national Identity Card or Passport, testimonials and other relevant supporting documents.
Applications, clearly marked “Application for the position of Chief Internal Audit and Compliance Officer”, must be submitted on or before 14th July, 2018 via email and should be send to the below address.
Kindly quote the reference number indicated above.
Umma University is an equal opportunity employer. Women, marginalized groups and persons living with disability are encouraged to apply.
The Vice Chancellor,
P. O. Box: 713 – 01100, Kajiado – Kenya
To apply for this job please visit www.brightermonday.co.ke.