UN World Food Program
Applications are invited from qualified persons for the above vacant position.
Minimum Qualification: Bachelor
Experience Level: Mid level
Experience Length: 6 years
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The National Roster Talent Pool is an entry point for a professional national career with WFP. WFP is looking to build a pool of highly qualified and dynamic talents interested in working with WFP , when the need arises.
A National Roster member is placed on the pool for a period up to 1 year during which he/ she is considered with priority each time WFP has a specific need for a Fixed Term General Service or National Professional staff member in his/her functional area and level.
These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ). Job holders performing front office management functions typically report to the Division Director or Country Directors. In cases where these positions support a specific business stream, the reporting line may be to the Head of Unit or Chief.
At this level job holders are expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance. They have responsibility for undertaking specialised business support work, such as organisation and coordination of work. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis. Job holders are expected to manage resources, and coach and/or coordinate a team of support staff.
To coordinate and control a full range of business support services for a specific professional area of work, to ensure that services are delivered effectively.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area.
Experience: Six or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative business stream with experience in general administrative work.
Knowledge & Skills:
• Specialised knowledge of the application of common business processes, practical business support methods, procedures and systems used in area of work, gained through technical training and work experience.
• Good communication skills in order to provide specialised business support services to a wide range of individuals.
• Ability to analyse and interpret financial data and monitor budgets.
• Ability to proactively identify and recommend areas for improvement to the design and delivery of specialised services.
• Ability to build relationships with a variety of individuals across functions.
• Experience in coordinating the work of others and self and training and supporting others.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Language: General Service (Headquarters): Fluency (level C) in English language. Fluency (level C) or intermediate knowledge (level B) of another official language may be required depending on the location of the post or area of responsibility.
General Service (Field): Fluency in both oral and written communication in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Provide dedicated executive assistant support.
2. Prepare and/or consolidate comprehensive reports, documentation, correspondence, briefing notes, etc. and conduct research in the area of work.
3. Actively seek and use feedback to improve business processes and procedures.
4. Respond to complex business support queries in order to provide a timely and accurate resolution of enquiries for clients.
5. Oversee the maintenance of records and databases to ensure information is organised and readily available for staff and compliant with all relevant regulations and policies.
6. Revise and review correspondence and documentation, providing feedback and making amendments where appropriate, to contribute to production of these materials to time and quality standards.
7. Assist managers in planning, monitoring and reconciling budget(s) to ensure that planned financial resources are used effectively.
8. Assess and recommend improvements to procedures and practices, to contribute to the effective delivery of business support services.
9. Provide a full range of complex business support services to staff to contribute to the effective functioning of business operations.
10. Provide advice, support and/or training to junior support staff in the provision of business support services, in order to support their learning in providing business support.
11. Coordinate tasks of junior colleagues to ensure support services are delivered consistently and to the required standards.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfill the needs of internal and external partners.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
This position is open to Kenya nationals only.
Selected candidates will be placed in the national roster and will be contacted as the needs arise for fixed-term national positions in Regional Bureau in Nairobi .
The National Roster membership will last 1 year.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Apply by 28th June 2018
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
To apply for this job please visit www.brightermonday.co.ke.