UN World Food Program
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. We are seeking to fill a consultancy position of Regional Data Coordinator based in Nairobi. Contract duration 6 months from start date with possible further extension.
The Regional Data Coordinator will be responsible for leading on the strategy and implementation of data consolidation and visualization projects at Nairobi, Regional Bureau (RBN) and country offices in the region.
1. Work closely with data owners, and stakeholder to identify data gaps and data visualization needs for country operations in the region.
2. Liaise between field users and HQ IT Division on new ways for users to consume and experience the WFP’s datasets in the field.
3. Identify new high-value datasets in country offices (such as data relevant at local levels) for inclusion in the data initiative and associated tools.
4. Promote and facilitate the use of corporate data systems and business intelligence tools at the field level.
5. Educate and inform internal and external audiences about the various tools and resources related to data in WFP.
6. Organize relevant meetings; provide recommendations for improvements; establish, manage and report on key performance indicators of the corporate data solutions, including web metrics, etc.
7. Coordinate the rollout and adoption of Tableau as a corporate business intelligence and data visualization solution in the region.
8. Facilitate a regional training program for Tableau and data visualization based on country-office demand.
9. Champion and facilitate the adoption of IN/FO country office dashboard to foster a culture of data-driven decision-making within the organization.
10. Use project management skills to ensure that relevant teams and individuals are consulted and involved in decision making at key points and that all decisions made are clearly documented and communicated.
11. Report progress and issues to Regional Bureau relevant heads of units, Regional Directors and Deputy Regional Directors and the IT Division senior management team.
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT:
1. Demonstrated presence of the regional perspective in the HQ data working group and data integration group, with attendance and participation in 75% or more of the events.
2. An increased level of awareness, data literacy and skills in data visualization, and specifically the use of Tableau at the Regional Bureau and country offices, demonstrated by the number of workshops and trainings delivered, with a majority of them scoring over 80% in positive feedback from participants.
3. Increased number of visits (+10%) from the regional bureau and country offices in the region to corporate data platforms and dashboards.
4. At least one data visualization, success story or use case of Tableau for data visualizations and decision making shared by a country office in the region for each month of contract.
5. At least one data visualization, success story or use case of Tableau for data visualizations and decision making shared by the regional bureau for each month of contract.
6. In-person or online information sessions and feedback collected on IN/FO from all the relevant functions in the regional bureau functional units and al country offices for each new release of IN/FO.
7. Monthly reports on existing needs/ data gaps at country office level to the BEM network in Rome.
8. 20% of all locally – stored datasets imported into SLURP and used for local data analysis (baseline number of locally – stored datasets to be defined during the first 3 months of contract).
9. 25% or more reduction in the number of duplicate local data systems used, unless using Freedom in the Framework.
10. Increased awareness around the data agenda among regional and country office senior management (heads of units, CDs, DCDs, RD, DRDs).
Qualifications & Experience Required
Advanced University Degree in Business Administrations, Data Management, Statistics, Marketing, Communications, Information Management other relevant discipline
University degree preferably in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field.
3 years or more of relevant progressive work experience in information management, information systems, web management, data management, GIS mapping, data visualization or project management.
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
Proven experience working in a busy analytical environment and handling complex analysis. Strong written and oral communication skills, including substantive report writing skills. Experience working with teams and team processes. Ability to work in multi-cultural and multi-ethic environments. The candidate must demonstrate strong data analysis skills
Fluency in oral and written English with an intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is desirable.
Terms and Conditions
WFP offers a competitive compensation package that will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following websites for detailed information on working with WFP.
http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 7 June 2018
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
To apply for this job please visit www.brightermonday.co.ke.