Project Coordinator – EZAKASO (CCE)-Job Ref:JKEPLAN/2202/20220
Occupations: Programme and Project Management
Project Coordinator – EZAKASO Community Comprehensive Education
Functional Area (job family/role type)
Education & Community Mobilization
Education & Community Mobilization
Education & Community Mobilization
Programme Unit Manager -Kilifi PU
Geographical scope of role
Parts of Kauma Sub County
1st FEBRUARY 2021
Plan International is a rights-based development and humanitarian organization working for better lives for all children. We are independent of government and have no political or religious affiliation. Our purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Our strategic goal is to ensure vulnerable adolescent girls, young women, men and children are supported/ empowered/ facilitated to drive social-economic change and break gender barriers, to enable them access equal opportunities and realize their rights in an enabling environment.
EZAKASO Community Comprehensive Education Project is an integrated project working across the pillars of Education, Health Care, Food & Nutrition, Clean Water & Sanitation and Income training & generation (promoting culture of local savings groups).
The Project Coordinator is responsible for the conceptualization, development and execution of the project activities in line with the approved grant within Ezamoyo, Kazandani and Sosoni areas of Kauma Sub county in Kilifi county. The role will ensure that all the project activities and outcomes are aligned to realizing Plan International Country Strategy. The responsibilities also include the implementation of the project design, monitoring and reporting on the progress of the project activities. The incumbent will be accountable for monitoring and management of the project budget. Additionally, the role will require strengthening safeguarding of children procedures in project areas and will require liaising with other project teams to ensure synergy and integration of project interventions. The job holder will manage a multi-million-shillings Project and must be abreast with donor regulations, environment and reporting.
To realize and sustain the quality and impact of the EZAKASO Community Comprehensive Education Project within Ezamoyo, Kazandani and Sosoni areas of Kauma Sub County in Kilifi County, in relation to enhancing household resilience, improved nutrition, good health and provision of a safe and engaging school environment where children can learn, play and receive a healthy balanced meal.
The role takes leadership to strengthen community-based child protection systems to ensure children, especially girls, are protected from the impacts of climate change and any form of abuse. It ensures inclusive and gender responsive plans for strengthening the primary school environments and surrounding communities, which includes Household Economic Strengthening (HES) while forming/working with predominantly women-led Village Savings and Loan Association (VSLA) groups. The Coordinator will therefore provide key inputs into plans, proposals, program designs, activity implementation and monitoring and evaluation. He/She will build the capability in their field of expertise of Plan’s staff, BoMs, communities, women-led groups and partners.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
Planning, strategy and policy (10%)
• Ensure the project work directly contributes to the outcomes for girls and young women are realised and that girls take lead in advocating for their rights
• Ensure compliance with relevant donor policies, contracts, and agreements.
• Influencing stakeholders and duty bearers to enactment and enforcement of policies relevant to Plan work.
• Ensure correct and appropriate branding and media coverage at all times during project implementation while working in contact with the Communications Manager and Country Director.
Programme and project design and influence (20%)
● Enhance realization of children and girls’ rights through design and implementation of gender transformative project interventions.
● Lead start-up meetings for the new project to guarantee a joint understanding among stakeholders on project objectives and expectations.
● Promote the realization of set targets and quality outcomes.
● Enhance gender mainstreaming in the project cycle
● Enhance community participation in the project planning, implementation and monitoring
● Mobilization and inclusion of children and vulnerable groups in the project
● Develop monthly activities and budget plans to be implemented as per approved work plan and ensure that all activities are on track with appropriate scheduling, quality and timelines
● Build relationship with relevant staff to ensure all logistics and procurement processes are in conformity with Plan policies, procedures and standards
Working in Partnership and resource mobilisation (15%)
● Lead relationships and represent the organization in project strategic network technical meetings and establish and maintain strong networks and partnerships at sub-county and county levels
● Promote active engagement and participation of communities in Project activities.
● Maintain a high level of external communication/contact with the community, County, Project Stakeholders (Education, Agriculture, Health, BoM). This is to facilitate the implementation of the project activities effectively.
● Promote sensitization of stakeholders and partners on Plan’s policies, strategies, procedures, values and behaviours.
● Coordinate with other NGOs, local and private sector players working within the operational areas to expand opportunities for partnerships.
● Engage and influence key duty bearers towards realization of children rights in project communities.
● Facilitate access to relevant and accurate information on the project to stakeholders including the government officers, parents, and children.
● Coordinate closely with colleagues at Plan International USA, keeping them abreast of project implementation and management as well as liaising with them on activity planning, reporting, budgeting, etc.
Quality improvement and standards (20%)
• Ensure timely and effective implementation of programs according to approved project outlines and approved monthly activity and budget plans.
• Monitor the progress of project implementation and undertake corrective actions.
• Promote evidence-based programming through data gathering and dissemination with wide consultation of target beneficiaries and other stakeholders.
• With support of M&E, enhance learning and knowledge management through documentation and profiling of Plan’s work.
• With support of M&E, maintain a beneficiary tracking system in line with monthly and quarterly reporting tools.
• Develop quality and timely reports in accordance with donor guidelines and procedures. This includes (activity reports, monthly and quarterly) in line with the laid down requirements and Plan standards.
• Contribute to documentation and sharing of best practices with all stakeholders for learning and sustainability beyond the project phase.
Financial Responsibility (15%)
• Develop and regularly update annual and quarterly project implementation plans and budgets.
• Monitor expenditures to promote prudent budget management and adherence to approved budget.
• Promote compliance with relevant donor policies, contracts, and agreements.
• Preparation and submission of accurate and timely financial reports according to donor regulations.
Capability building and People Management (10%)
• Identification, engagement and capacity development of partners to support project implementation.
• Promote good team working environment in accordance to Plan’s purpose and values.
• Support performance management of the Project Assistant and create an environment for personal development.
• Support project team including partners at both institutional and Community level and continuously identify opportunities for learning and change.
Risk Management (5%)
● Identify and manage project risks
● Promote compliance with Plan Kenya and donor requirements and regulations in project implementation
● Report possible project risks to Plan International USA colleagues in a timely and transparent manner.
Other duties (5 %)
• As assigned by the Line Manager
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) 5%
• Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
• Leads the orientation of programme staff to ensure that they are properly inducted on and understands their role in upholding Plan International’s safeguarding and GEI policies;
• Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in project design, during implementation and as principles applied in day-to-day work of Programme team;
• Ensures that Plan Kenya contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
Qualifications/ experience essential:
● A Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Community Development, Agriculture Extension and Education, or any other related field.
● Must have proven knowledge of or an interest in early childhood development and Primary school education .
● Knowledge and experience in working with schools in promoting child participation in climate smart agriculture and environmental protection
● Government stakeholder engagement
● Knowledge of women economic empowerment and gender integration best practices
● Knowledge and Experience on health, nutrition, water and sanitation, especially for young children.
● At least 3 years’ experience in project management/coordination.
● Strong Knowledge and experience of community development.
● Sound understanding of integrated development issues and rights based programming.
● Conversant with child rights issues and child participatory methodologies.
● Knowledge and experience of working with children, youths and women groups
● Hold personal values, ethics and attitudes which are in alignment with the principles of the Plan’s Safeguarding of Children and Young Persons Policy.
● Willingness to sign and adhere to the Plan Safeguarding children and young people policy
● Effective team management experience
● Ability to ride and use Motor Bike for field Operations
● Ability to use local languages for Coast Region will be an added advantage
● Relevant computer skills
● Comfort with Microsoft office suite, especially Word and Excel
● Master’s degree
● Analytical and report writing skills
● Good Interpersonal / Communication skills and team working
● Strategic planning skills
● Results oriented
● Budget and Cost Control
● Risk management
● Monitoring and Evaluation skills
● Skills in managing project implementation and monitoring is critical
● Community facilitation, networking, partnership development and management skills
● Good communication, negotiation and advocacy skills
● Conflict Management
Please click on the button below to Apply.